Saturday, June 24, 2017

Wendell's Pernil (Roast Pork Shoulder)


This is a Puerto Rican roast pork dish where the pork shoulder is marinated for at least 8 hours in a garlic/olive oil/vinegar/spices mixture. CAN YOU IMAGINE! It was awesome delicious!

The recipe is from The Latin Kitchen site and can be found here

IMG_0987


Ingredients

8 pounds picnic pork shoulder
12 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 tbs olive oil
3 tbs white vinegar
8 tsp salt (or 1 tsp per pound of meat)

Directions

Wash the pork shoulder.

With a sharp knife, make 1-inch deep cuts into the pork.

Using a mortar and pestle crush garlic, oregano and black pepper together.

Add olive oil, vinegar and salt. Mix well.

Spoon some of the garlic mixture inside the small cuts around the pork and spread remaining all over the pork.

Place pork in aluminum turkey pan (skin side up) and cover with aluminum foil tightly.

Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Turn it in the marinade.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 5 to 6 hours.

Remove aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for another hour or until the skin is crisp.

12 comments:

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! Can we come over to your house for dinner every night? Can you move over here to my side of town?

Honolulu Aunty said...

O.M.G. Crunchy and onolicious! I can't take it.

Please open a restaurant.

Leslie's pics said...

bake for 5-6 hours?? holy crap!! I would throw the suckah in a crock pot so I don't have to worry about forgetting...i would so burn the house down otherwise. Must've been sooooo tender though!

Chet Colson said...

I love Puerto Rican and Latin food. Imagine gonduli rice, pateles with Wendell's Pernil. Yum!!

jalna said...

LOL, Kay!

It was as you said, Aunty!

Les, he also prepped it from the night before. And yes was very tender.

Oh oh oh, Chet . . . I love pasteles and gonduli rice! And the bakalao salad.

K and S said...

wow! wow!

Susan said...

All I can think of is my electric bill, but it sure looks yummy!

jalna said...

Really yah, Susan!! What is your electric bill like?

Susan said...

I try to keep my bill around $250 a month, but that means no AC til late afternoon in the living room and then at bedtime that one is turned off and 2 or sometimes 3 bedroom AC go on. It gets pretty hot during the day but sweat won't hurt you, lol. During really hot months like now, about $350. (Oh forgot to tell you I have gas stove and dryer).

jalna said...

Susan, I always wonder how we got along without AC before. It's been hot hot hot here . . . must be even worse where you're at.

Erick said...

Looks ono! I like picnic more than butt, it has more flavor. I make something like this without the vinegar. I'll try this. Thanks.

jalna said...

You're gonna like it, Erick.