Friday, June 23, 2017

Scallop Kamameshi


I bought this Hotate Meshi no Moto (?Scallop Thing To Make Rice?) mix from Marukai. It was on sale for $4.99.

IMG_0911

I don't know what I was expecting to find when I opened up the box, but it wasn't this.
IMG_0913

It took me awhile to Google Translate the instructions, but from what I could decipher, you wash and rinse 2 cups (rice cooker cup) of rice. Then you add in the contents of the bag along with enough water so that the water level measures 2 cups. I also added in some shiitake mushrooms. 
IMG_0956

It was good . . . very scallop-y flavored. I'm glad that I tried it. But I doubt that I'd buy it again.
IMG_0970

11 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

You are so brave! I follow your recommendations. I not going buy this one.

Unknown said...

Ha! I bought that about a year ago thinking it was scallop dashi, and when I opened the box, I looked at the package of liquid and scallop bits and thought, WTH??? Then I used it in lieu of dashi for kabocha, and it was very good. Since then, I discovered iriko dashi, which is even better for making kabocha (my aunty's recipe -- Kay's mom).

Anonymous said...

Looks ono!

Izsmom

K and S said...

surprised marukai didn't have the instructions translated for you on the back

jalna said...

Aunty, actually Landon had it circled in the Marukai flyer. Don't think I woulda got it otherwise.

Hahahaha, Lorna . . . that's what I said! I gotta look into iriko dashi now. Sounds interesting.

It actually was, Izsmom.

Maybe I missed it, Kat.

Leslie's pics said...

oooh i would like to try that!

Kay said...

That really does look tasty, Jalna. I love how you always try new things you find at Marukai.

Dd said...

looks like would make a good soup....

jalna said...

Les, I think you would like it.

Kay, I love looking for new things at Marukai.

Hmmm, I wonder, Dd.

Susan said...

I want to make this from scratch!

jalna said...

Oooooh, it would probably turn out better, Susan!