Friday, June 2, 2017

Honolulu Aunty on Google Maps


I will be visiting Honolulu Aunty at her home soon, and as I usually do when I plan to drive somewhere new I checked out her address on Google Maps.

I planted my yellow map-man on the street in the vicinity of the address and started searching the area in street view. 

There was no question when I found the correct house . . . because right there in the front yard was Aunty, very recognizable in her signature hat, appearing to be watering her . . . ummm . . . driveway! 


Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.17.34 PM

Aunty explained to me that she had seen the Google car from her kitchen window and ran outside to check it out, but unfortunately, the car was already gone. She figured that maybe he might return so she decided to water the yard . . . and sure enough, he did!!

I don't know anybody else who has managed to get themselves on Google Maps . . . only Aunty . . . who never ceases to amaze and delight me. 

15 comments:

celia said...

That is awesome!!! Aunty is one smart cookie!!!

jalna said...

Yup, Celia!!

Anonymous said...

Alright Aunty!!! So cute! My dad is partially seen in our yard on Google maps. He loved to sit in the yard during the day. LOL

Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Ho da funny, yeah? Thanks for making me famous on your warm and fuzzy blog!

Anonymous said...

j: when I was driving in Wahiawa when they were filming in Hawaii, the Google car was right next to me, so I was soooo excited and later went to check. Yeah, apparently it wasn't filming that time, probably driving through. But after that I saw it a number of times here and there. -N

K and S said...

so cool!

Dd said...

ummm......Google C A R ??

Mark Shelby said...

Hey Aunty! Why you watering your driveway? Da plants stay ova deah! ; )

jalna said...

That's so cool, Izsmom!

Aunty, I just love your pose too!

I never saw the car, N. Was it easily recognizable?

I know, Kat!

Yah, Dd. It drives around taking pictures for the street view on Google Maps.

Funny, Mark! Actually, there's some grass on the other side of the driveway she's trying to get.

Leslie's pics said...

Aunty, don't you know that you're not supposed to water your driveway between the hours of 9-3? hahahahahahaa!!

jalna said...

AHAHAHAHA, Les!! Hey, when the Google Car is passing by, you just gotta do what you gotta do!!

Anonymous said...

j: yup the car was easily identifiable cuz it had a huge huge camera set on top of their vehicle. It reminded me of those cameras they use to film movies with, except shorter. Surprisingly they didn't use trucks it was regular vehicles and I remember on the tv news they mentioned they were hiring drivers. I literally saw them everywhere during that time. I don't think there were any markings with Google, just the huge camera set up. I read in some cities, somehow folks found out where they were gonna shoot, so that's why there are some staged pixs like ppl as superheroes staging fights. -N

sunnyellow said...

My dad was captured on Google Maps Street View working in his yard in 2009- it was a minor sensation in our family. My nephew's friends now refer to my dad as "Google Grandpa!" The Google car went by a couple years later and the image has been updated. We can still view my father's picture by clicking on the 2009 version!

jalna said...

Sooooo funny, N . . . about the superheroes!!!

That is so cool, Sunnyellow!!!

Kay said...

Oh my! That is so awesome!