Sunday, June 11, 2017

Grammar Lesson


My friend Ross shared this story. I couldn't find anything on Snopes to confirm or debunk it. Either way it's funny.


 No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words.  In a recent linguistic competition held in London and attended by, supposedly, the best in the world, Samdar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over 5 minutes.

The final question was: How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that
is easy to understand? Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.

Here is his astute answer:

When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!!!

He won a trip around the world and a case of 25 year old Scotch.

7 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

so true! he deserved the win.

Myko said...

Found this Jalna.

http://theanthrotorian.com/culture/2012/11/29/the-difference-between-complete-and-finished

Kay said...

True of not, it was hilarious!

Leslie's pics said...

hahahahahahahahaaa!!

Mark Shelby said...

Awesome!

Jalna, I'll be offline for a few weeks (I don't even own a smart phone to type on the net). I'm helping a friend move to Port Angeles Washington. I'm driving her 26 foot Penske truck and I'm towing my Buick up which will be my long summer road trip home ride. I think I'm coming down the coast. Camping and taking scenic pics. Should be a blast! I offered to do this for free, but she is paying for my gas, food and 6 nights in hotels. So kind of her! I'm saving her big money over using a moving company.

So don't think I have abandoned everyone here. Dis is Ohana!

Chet Colson said...

All things being equal, that would apply to marrying the right man.....2.....lol.

jalna said...

Really yah, Aunty.

Thanks Myko!

I agree, Kay.

LOL, Les.

Great adventure, Mark!

You're totally right, Chet . . . or . . . correct. What's the difference between right and correct . . . LOL!!