Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Elusive Omiyage


My cousin V, who was in Japan at the exact time as me and Sweetie, succeeded where I had failed . . . in finding one of the most curious of food items . . . shoyu powder. 

I had heard about it from Kat's blog Adventures in Japan here. Hers was actually a soy salt. V, discovered the powder here in the RocketNews24 site. 

I feel so fortunate that V bought a bag of the powder for me.  

It came with a pretty red pouch.
IMG_5905

They were in packets. 
IMG_5909

A little goes a long way. It made my Waimana boiled egg taste even more delicious!  Thank you so much, V!!
IMG_5921

She said that she found the powder at the Kyoto JR Isetan store.

11 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

awww man!! good to know! I wanna try now. I wonder if i'll go back to kyoto...hmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

I still haven't tried mine yet. I want to finish the the bottle of soy salt we got as a gift, same brand as the one Kat bought. Because of your picture, I boiled some eggs last night and had them for breakfast this morning with the soy salt. The Kamebishi brand has a very light flavor so I was thinking maybe I should try mixing the 2 together since you said a little goes a long way.
So happy I was able to find it too!
V

Susan said...

Amazing! Never heard of it. Does it just taste like straight shoyu? I'm thinking fried rice, without all the brown color : )

K and S said...

yup we used some on hard boiled eggs, so good & a little really does go a long way.

Anonymous said...

Neat! That egg wth the powder looks so Ono!

Izsmom

jalna said...

Good omiyage yah, Les!!

Thanks for sharing, V!

Susan, this one wasn't salty like straight shoyu. It had a mellow flavor.

It's perfect on boiled eggs, Kat!

I think it's such a great idea, Izsmom!

Honolulu Aunty said...

So fun, the hunt, the find, and the eats! Can I live with you?

Mark Shelby said...

Since 1856! Holy Moley!

jalna said...

LOL, Aunty . . . actually, I like live with you!

Unreal yah, Mark.

Kay said...

Shoyu powder? Wow! That's a new one for me.

jalna said...

Good idea yah, Kay!