Thursday, October 6, 2016

Good Rice Cooker?


The question was posed: Is there a difference in taste in rice made in a plain one-button rice cooker vs. a fuzzy logic rice cooker vs. an induction rice cooker?  Can you let me know if you have a preference or opinion?

I totally cut and pasted the below from a website called Sacred Rice here

What Is a Fuzzy or Neuro Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker?

Fuzzy logic is a form of non-linear logic. It deals with approximation and inference rather than precision. Fuzzy logic is measured by a range of variables. Fuzzy logic has a wide range of applications in the areas of control systems and artificial intelligence.

Neuro-fuzzy refers to artificial neural networks and fuzzy logic. Neuro-fuzzy logic resembles the human-like reasoning with the ability to derive “IF-Then” rules.

When fuzzy logic or neuro fuzzy logic is applied in a rice cooker, the rice cooker can “think” on its own via a micro-computerized chip. It is able to discern different types of rice or grains to yield optimally cooked rice. Then it determines the cooking time and temperature according to the thermal sensor’s calculation.

What Is a Induction Heating Rice Cooker?

Induction heating is a non-contact heating process using radio frequency electricity through an electrical conductive material. Induction heating is the most advanced heating technology. It has numerous applications such as industrial and household appliances.

In the context of a rice cooker, an induction heating “zone” is built underneath an inner pot. The inner pot is like a heat conductor. An alternating electric current flows in the external vessel where the inner pot is housed to produce resistive heating. The surrounding heating cooks the rice or food in the inner pot. The inner pot has to be of high ferrous metal content at the base. Examples of such are cast iron, black metal or iron pans.

9 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

I don't think so...I think it depends on the type of rice you buy. There's a HA-UUUUGE difference between Hinode and the Japanese ones at Marukai that costs $25 for a 15 lb bag. Also I think you just gotta know how to cook um!! I no like um mushy! We're still using Randy's grampa's one button 5 cup rice cooker. Tastes ok to me! But holy cow, I wonder what kind of rice/cooker the Japanese in Japan use!! I could eat their rice for DAYS!!!

jalna said...

I think I agree, Les. And I found that the expensive ones need less water.

Honolulu Aunty said...

I used to think the Tiger brand was good, and I had another Japanese brand that was kinda like it, and then I downsized to the cheaper small ones 3 cups ones like Panasonic, Black and Decker, etc. They all cooked rice okay, especially when I started using slightly less water than the line called for. One of the features that I really didn't like was that all of these rice cookers had a default "warm" setting, so the cooker was always on, unless I pulled the plug or turned off the power strip it was connected to.

Then, I got the $89 5.5 cup rice cooker from Costco, Zojirushi (picture of elephant as logo). It is my absolute favorite rice cooker because I can turn it off completely after it is done with the "cancel" button, and, a huge bonus was that the cup lines inside the pot are painted in white, so I can really see what the waterline should be. It also cooks a great 1 cup of rice, as well as a 5 cup of rice.

One of these days I gonna post about it because it really is my favorite one, and was cheap compared to the other Japanese brands.

Susan said...

I'm not too sure about this either. I've had different types of rice cookers and they pretty much make the rice the same way, as long as I let the rice stand in the water for 30 min or longer before cooking and put the right amount of water. We buy Calrose rice and noticed we've had to add more water to it to get the perfect rice...not too dry and not wet.

mymy said...

type of rice does really make a difference. and it always taster better when someone else cooks it. =)

jalna said...

Aunty, we have a Zojirushi from Costco too. Maybe it's the same one.

Susan, I buy Koshihikari rice now and then, and I notice it needs less water than usual.

I totally agree, Mymy. Other people's tastes better than mine!!

Anonymous said...

We used to use the really fancy, expensive rice cookers from Japan for over 10 years. But just this year we switched. Main reason was we wanted a pot that was stainless steel rather than the typical nonstick (worried about chemicals and stuff). It's a simple one button kind, big change for us. But I think it's just as good as the really expensive kind we used to have. We're very happy with it. And like others said, the rice you buy and how you cook it makes all the difference. - L

jalna said...

Thanks for your input, L!

Kay said...

We use Genjimai. I'm looking forward to the test.