Saturday, July 16, 2016

Kauai - Hanalei Pier


The last thing on our agenda for Day 1 was sunset photos at the Hanalei Pier. On the way there we drove over a cute one-lane bridge.

IMG_4288a

This plaque is placed at the beginning of the pier and says that the Hanalei Pier Canopy was constructed in 1892 and restored in 2013.
IMG_4317a

Unlike Anahola Beach this place was bustling with activity. Good thing they fixed the pier, yah. Now plenty people can enjoy.
IMG_4386a

This kid caught a few baby papio. He would get all excited and run with the fish to show his aunty. Was so cute. 
IMG_4320a

Also cute.
IMG_4327a

Pretty much right away me and Les scrunched under the pier for this-kine shots. I stayed under there for about a minute and then ditched Leslie. It was semi-claustrophic and as Les said, "smelled like dead fish."
IMG_4302a

I took this picture with my phone. It's one of my favorite photos of the trip. It shows how photographers will endure most anything to get that perfect shot.
IMG_4387a

I was able to get this slow-shutter, smooth-water look by placing my camera on top of my lap. Luckily, Les had reminded me to bring my remote shutter trigger to minimize any shake. It came out exactly how I wanted. I like how the pier shines with a golden light. If you click on the photo it'll take you to my Flickr page where you can see a bigger version. We decided to return again on our last day for sunrise shots when, hopefully, there'd be less people. 
IMG_4382a

On our way back to the hotel we pulled over at a sign that said "scenic lookout".  It was overlooking Hanalei Valley. Pretty, yah, morning light. I created this panorama by stitching three shots together in Photoshop. Again, try click on the photo for a bigger picture. 
Panorama1

When we returned to the pier a couple of days later in the wee hours of the morning, there were only two other people there and both were photographers. BIIIIIIIG difference. 
IMG_4661a

My pier shots looked pretty much all the same . . . nothing special . . . so I made this one look vintage, just to give you a different look. 
IMG_4641a

8 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

Ho da niiiiice!!! No need monopod! Just need Jalna's lap!! I don't even remember seeing that sign about the restoration of the pier and I didn't even see that little mini fisherman either. I was too busy getting burnt waiting for the stooopid sun to go down. That scenic lookout came out super nice too, glad you remembered to stop there :)

Susan said...

Hawaii is absolutely beautiful!

K and S said...

all are so pretty!

jalna said...

Thanks Les. I took a jillion slow-shutter shots and that's the only one I like.

Susan, Guam must be too!

Thanks Kat!

Mark Shelby said...

Awesome pics as always Jalna! The first time I rode over that one lane bridge and played on that dock was probably 1960. When I was just 5 years old. Thanks for the Memories!

jalna said...

Wow, Mark!

Mona said...

Jalna, you are amazing....still!!!

jalna said...

Awwww . . . thank you so much, Mona!!