Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Kauai - Anahola Beach Park


After Wailua Falls we went straight to Anahola Beach Park. This was just a dry run for us so that we could figure out how to get there. The "real" shoot was gonna be at sunrise the next morning. 

IMG_4226a

The beach was absolutely beautiful . . . and totally deserted. Me and Les were the only people there. We just couldn't get over that. How can, yah?
IMG_4228a

The polarizing filter that I used over my lens helped produce the awesome color of the water. 
IMG_4255a

IMG_4248a

IMG_4233a

The next day, we set the alarm for 4:10 a.m. Les and I are both early risers and fast get ready-ers. We were out da door before 5 a.m.  . . . . a little ahead of schedule.

Unfortunately for me, most of my shots that morning were failures. I blame my monopod. I bought it at the last minute because there was no way I could lug my 2-ton tripod with me on the trip, and I knew that I needed something to steady my camera for the slow-shutter speeds required for the kind of pictures that I wanted. But it just didn't work out . . . it wasn't steady enough.
IMG_4901

I did get this shot of Leslie that I really like though, so the morning wasn't a total bust. And Les did get some really, really nice photos . . . that's the main thing, anyway.
IMG_4463b

12 comments:

K and S said...

bummer about the monopod:(

jalna said...

It's okay, Kat. I can still use it for not-so-slow-shutter shots and for videoing in tight spaces. Not going in the Goodwill box yet.

Leslie's pics said...

whoa your filter shots are awesome! Did I tell you that I always have it on my camera with my 35mm (only because I keep forgetting to take it off) but then I never use it cause I keep forgetting that I have it on there?? So sad.

We shoulda taken a pic of the first part of the beach that we went to when we me my "no can, private property" friend! That side was nice too.

Susan said...

I love all your photos! Monopod or no monopod : )

jalna said...

Les, I didn't even think to take a photo from that end. All I was doing was trying to get shots of the chickens. So lolo.

Awww, thank you, Susan!!

Susie said...

Great pictures!!!

jalna said...

Thanks Susie!

Mark Shelby said...

Are those rocks the remnants of a pier from long ago? Like the days of Captain Cook?

jalna said...

Mark, I'm pretty sure they are remnants of a pier, but I don't know how old they are.

Kay said...

We did make a point to go there because of Leslie's blog. Our photos did not turn out nearly as nice as yours though. You went to so many different places than us.

jalna said...

I'm glad you got to go there too, Kay!

MAtt said...

Loce these photos! It's a great family beach, more at: https://lookintohawaii.com/hawaii/8076/anahola-beach-park-beach-kauai-anahola-hi