Monday, May 4, 2015

Japan 2015 - Day 9 - Kanazawa to Miyazu

April 15, 2015: Tojinbo, Five Lakes of Mikata, Konbu Kan

These are the lacquered doors to the elevators at the Kanazawa Tokyu Hotel.  I'm so glad that Sweetie reminded me to take a picture of them as we were leaving in the morning.

IMG_4014a

Our first stop of the day was Tojinbo, 70-foot high cliffs in northern Fukui along the Sea of Japan.
IMG_4031a

These cliffs are supposedly a popular site for committing suicide.
IMG_4032a

I think you can't tell from these pictures, but it was pouring, and at one point my umbrella blew open three times while I was trying to take pictures. 
Panorama2-a

I quickly took my photos and ran into shelter.
IMG_4016a

IMG_4018a

IMG_4022a

IMG_4024a

IMG_4028a

Next stop was Konbu Kan, a large shop where all things related to konbu were sold.
IMG_4038a

A lot of sampling was to be had there.
IMG_4043a

After Konbu Kon we went to pick up lunch.
IMG_4046a

Yummm!! Wish I could have some of this right now.
IMG_4048a

Hmmmmm . . . let's see . . . what time were we supposed to be back at the bus?
IMG_4050a

BINGO!!
IMG_4113a

After lunch we headed to the town of Wakasa where we rode a chairlift up Mount Baijo to view the Five Lakes of Mikasa.
IMG_4065a

Panorama-a

IMG_4068a

IMG_4070a

The green rock below says "Koibito no" (Lover's), the reddish rock says "Seichi" (Holy Place), and the small grey rock on the left says "Chikai no Kagi" (Key to Oath).  The plaque on the reddish rock says in English: "Yumi Katsura Lover's Sanctuary"  Here I declare this land as "Lover's Sanctuary" to impart the joy and the magic of encounters, blissful marriages, and raising a happy home. I send my blessings to your encounters and wish you a wonderful future. Bridal Mother (signed) Katsura Yumi  SINCE 2006.  I googled "Yumi Katsura". She designs wedding gowns. Beauuuutiful wedding gowns.  You can check them out here.
IMG_4076a

You can purchase a magical "vow lock" at the mountain top. Your vows will remain eternally at the mountain top within the lock. 
IMG_4078a

The key to the lock comes with an attached card that you can write a note on. You either keep the key/note or throw it over the mountain. Not sure. I didn't quite get that part. I wasn't paying attention . . . you know me . . .
IMG_4072a

IMG_4073a

IMG_4074a

The rose garden is normally in bloom from around May 20 to June 20.  We were a bit too early.
IMG_4081a

I think this sign is telling us that we can see three of the five lakes from here.
IMG_4082a

IMG_4086a

IMG_4088a

IMG_4089a

Going down.
IMG_4062a

I took some photos while on the bus ride to our next hotel. Usually I'm dozing, but I stayed up this time. Enjoy the view of rural Japan.
IMG_4056a

 IMG_4058a

IMG_4093a

IMG_4095a

IMG_4097a

IMG_4098a

IMG_4099a

IMG_4100a

IMG_4105a

IMG_4107a

IMG_4108a

Nearing our hotel, Sweetie took this photo from our moving bus with her iPhone. I think it's pretty amazing that she got the shot.

IMG_0176a

We stayed at the Miyazu Royal Hotel. This is the view from our room.
IMG_4118a

We had a Japanese dinner. The plating was so beautiful.
IMG_4119a

IMG_4122a

IMG_4125a

IMG_4130a

IMG_4134a

IMG_4135a

IMG_4137a

IMG_4139a

After dinner me and Sweetie decided to go check out the onsen. We did have several chances to try the onsens at previous hotels, but we had always managed to find some excuse not to go. But Sweetie had yet to try onsen bathing and time was running short, so we figured now was as good a time as any.
IMG_4143a

We were greeted with an "Irashaimase (welcome)!" by the friendly attendant at the entrance to the women's section. We timidly made our way to an area where we were to leave our clothes. We put our house slippers into little cubbyholes. We could see a glass wall. Still clothed, we approached it. We could see a mass of naked bodies in various stages of sitting, washing, rinsing, soaking, etc. 

Me: OMG, it's so bright.
Sweetie: This is not what I expected. I thought it would be dark and steamy.
Me: It's not steamy at all. And it's so bright.
Sweetie: This is not what I expected.
Me: So you wanna go . . . 
Sweetie: Yup.

Attendant: Arigatooo-gozaimasu!!!

19 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Nice pics! So you never went in the onsen! You guys hilarious!

Leslie's pics said...

Soooooo beautiful!!! And I soooo wanna go to konbu kon....lots of new places I wanna see now :(

jalna said...

Funny yah, Mich. Sweetie did get to go at another hotel later, but I didn't have to go with her, so we neva have to see each other naked.

kobi said...

Thanks for the laughs. It brought tears to my eyes.

DNakamaru said...

Awesome pics! Felt like I was there! You guys chicken - lol! I don't blame you.

Anonymous said...

J - I always wanted so badly to see rural Japan, I always stayed with family in Kobe so it was always the smoggy cities we visited, the farthest being Kyoto. Hoo man you so lucky...and the lakes! Are people able to get to the lakes and if so what do they do there? fish? swim? -N

Honolulu Aunty said...

Ha ha ha! Maybe next time go at different times from each other with a mask on so nobody knows who you are.

Sweetie's shot of the stairs was very impressive. iPhones are awesome.

jalna said...

Hahaha, you're welcome, Kobi.

We soooo chicken, Dean.

N, you're so lucky you have family to stay with in Japan! Do you get to go often? Not sure how accessible the lakes are to the local people. It seems that tourists can do boat tours.

For real yah, Aunty. I did go to onsens long time ago when I was younger and not so saggy.

Susan said...

I think I would like to live in the rural areas of Japan when I retire. Everything looks so peaceful. Gotta get away from any form of noisy kids...lol. So much to see and do in Japan!! But yeah, no onsen for me either...

jalna said...

That's exactly how I felt about the area, Susan . . . so quiet and peaceful.

Kay said...

I'm amazed Sweetie got that shot with the iPhone. My camera has a hard time taking photos out of a moving window. You really got a lot of great looking food. I had to laugh about the onsen. I was really shy about going too, but finally ended up going with another shy person and loved it.

Craig S said...

Jaina
Next time you go to Japan no shame to go to the onsen. Everybody looks the same. The hot water is soo relaxing.

jalna said...

Kay, me too! Great shot she got yah!

Okay, Craig . . . next time!

K and S said...

that shot! we were staying nearby that temple!

jalna said...

That's so cool, Kat!

Anonymous said...

If you can get up early; my wife and I go first thing in the morning before breakfast. Hardly anybody. Sooo... relaxing

jalna said...

Thanks for the advise, Anon. All of them did open up really early.

Nippon Nin said...

Beautiful photographs! I bought my wedding gown at Katsura Yumi's bridal salon in Aoyama, Tokyo. It was expensive but I fall in love with the dress. When I look it now...I go 'really?' what I was thinking?

Jalna, onsen is the best! When I stayed in onsen resort, I go in the morning, evening and just before bed time.

jalna said...

It must've been a beautiful gown, Akemi. I imagine you must've looked very beautiful too.