Monday, August 12, 2013

Kona Update


It is an understatement to say that I was a wreck yesterday morning.  I sat by my plants watching Kona with his back towards me and I bawled and bawled and bawled.  Kona still hadn't eaten much of anything for 3 days, and I was so worried. He had even stopped eating the canned dog food that I bought.  Then yesterday morning when I took him outside for his first morning shishi, he walked around, lifted his leg, nothing, walked around, lifted his leg, nothing. I thought, "Oh no, his whole system is shutting down."  I immediately called the vet on her cell phone and left a message.  I'm sure I was pretty incoherent.

Later Wendell took Kona for a walk.  They came back after a little while and Wendell said that Kona did go shishi like normal.  I was so relieved.  When the vet returned my call I apologized and explained how distressed I was about the shishi thing, but that I had been premature in my judgement.  I told her that his appetite still hadn't returned, however, and she said that if it's still the same by the next day that I should bring him in again. 

IMG_0475

Later in the morning, Leslie texted me and asked how Kona was doing.  I told her that he still wasn't eating and that I couldn't even give him his medicine because of this.  She recommended that I try and put the pill into some cheese.  I dashed off without even answering her and tried it. He ate it!! The pill was supposed to help with his queasy stomach. I hoped that it would work.

Mich and Bobbi mentioned that I should try and give Kona some boiled chicken, so I concocted this boiled chicken and rice dish with a boiled egg for good measure.

IMG_0478

HE ATE THE WHOLE THING!!!!  I cannot even tell you how happy I was.

IMG_0482

I think Kona's starting to feel like his old self again.  Well, he's starting to steal our slippers again, anyway.  Thank you everybody for all of your help.  Hopefully, the worse is over.

IMG_0394


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Kona is doing better! I know how hard it is when your pets aren't feeling well since they are part of our families.

-Tyson

jalna said...

Thanks Tyson!

Taryn M said...

I'm happy to see that Kona boy's starting to feel better!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that kona ate the chicken ! Those canned prescrition foods arent palatable and a diet of chicken rice and mixed veggies are a healty route to go. Sound like he had a bad upset tummy and didnt care for the canned stuff.

Hope kona keeps stealing da slippas :)

take care!

waibu said...

Yay Kona is feeling better! Give him coconut water, suppose to help with dehydration. Did vet do blood w/up (BUN/creatinine). Is it his kidneys?

Ehhh maybe better you cook for him fresh food all the time...and 86 da canned food. Think of it this way, you should eat what Kona eats.

Eh you know already this! Change da diet for a longer and healthier life.

DNakamaru said...

Glad to hear Kona is doing better. I worry like that whenever our dogs get sick too. They're just like kids!

Dd said...

Yippee !!! Good to know what was wrong tho huh...maybe he ate a rabbit ?? sorry, not funny... ;o{

brenna said...

Hi Jalna,

Kona looks so sweet, especially with the slipper. I use to make hamburger jook for my shih tzu when she was sick. I used 1/2 pound ground beef, 1 carrot chopped, 1 cup cooked rice and 1 1/2 cans of chicken broth. She loved it and it was easy on her tummy.

Take care!
Brenna

jalna said...

OMG Taryn . . . me too!!

Thanks Anon!

Waibu, the vet didn't do blood work. She said we would treat it as just upset tummy unless he didn't improve. I think you're right and I'm gonna have to cook for him from now on.

Thanks Dean. Kona is like my baby. In fact, my son is sick now too, but I'm more worried about Kona than him!

Hahaha, that is kinda funny, Didi.

I like your recipe Brenna. I'll make that next time.

K and S said...

:)

jalna said...

Thanks Kat. Hope you guys are doing okay too.

Lorna said...

Oh, Jalna, I just read about Kona's ailing, and my heart goes out to you. I've a soft spot in my heart for furry or feathered animals (now I have 2 dogs, down from 4, 5 house cats, feed about 14 outdoor cats, have 1 horse, feed wild chickens -- I know, my neighbors think I'm that crazy lady with all those animals), but am glad that he is feeling much better. I will keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that he will be fully back to normal SOON!

Les said...

yaaay!! I'm soooo relieved!!

jalna said...

Awww Lorna, thank you!

Me too Les!!

Erick said...

I am so glad Kona is back to normal!

Nippon Nin said...

Hurray! I'm so glad! I was thinking about Kona last night. This is great news.

jalna said...

Thanks Erick.

I'm so relieved Akemi!