Monday, August 22, 2011

Louie Perry III

I want to introduce you to Louie Perry III of Pahoa on the Big Island.  I met him this past weekend at the 2011 Special Olympics Aukake Classic held at Waiau District Park where he received an award from the City and County of Honolulu for his achievements at the World Games held in Athens, Greece last month. Representing the United States in track and field, Louie won three Gold Medals -  in the 3,000 m, 1,500 m and 4X400 relay races. In the 3,000 m, Louie outsprinted the leader in the very last moments of the race, finishing just 0.49 seconds ahead of the runner from Great Britain.  You can click here to see his times and find out more about him on Wayne Joseph's Blog.   I got to talk to Louie for a little while and enjoyed his quiet, shy manner.  I didn't get any photos of Louie in action this past weekend but hopefully will get to catch him at the next Special Olympics event.

IMG_6972a

IMG_6978a

IMG_7485a

4 comments:

Erick said...

Wow, cool! I know Hawaii sent several athletes. I wish I met him too, maybe I should have come earlier.

jalna said...

I wish you came earlier too, instead of going, "Hi Jalna. Bye Jalna."

Leslie's pics said...

hahaha so funny! (I'm talking about you Erick!)
wow, that's so impressive, I feel like such a slacker....and a slug. He'd probably kick my butt too.

jalna said...

And Les, I even gave Erick one wake-up call so he would come early. . . but noooooo . . .