Monday, April 18, 2011

Pineapple Tart - Second Try


When my Manju with Pineapple Filling partly failed, Winnie provided me with a Pineapple Tart recipe to try. Thanks Winnie!!  I decided kinda at the last minute to make it yesterday.  It made 24 pieces of which there're only 2 left right now.  People liked it.  The crust was different . . . powdery . . . sorta like the Filipino Polvarone that's usually made with powdered milk.

IMG_8013

Top left: Sift together 2 1/2 c. flour, 1/4 tsp. salt, 4 tbs. powdered sugar and 2 tbs. cornstarch.
Lower left: Cook 2 cans (20 oz each) of well-drained crushed pineapple and 10 tbs. of sugar. Let cool in 'fridge.
Right:  Soften 2 blocks butter to room temperature.  Add 2 egg yolks.
IMG_7974

Add flour mixture to the butter/egg yolk mixture and knead to form the dough.  I divided the dough so that I could kinda gauge the 24 pieces (3 from each group).
IMG_7981

I sorta divided up the filling too so that I could tell to put about this much in each tart.  This dough was so much easier to work with than my other made-up recipe. 
IMG_7983

Look at that.  Isn't it beautiful?   You're supposed to put an egg wash on it too, but again I decided not to, mostly because I was too lazy by this time.
IMG_7990

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes and take pictures when pau.
IMG_8019

Runa who told me about the Indonesian dessert Nastar that her grandma used to make, was the first to try it at work. She said it tasted just like her grandma's!
IMG_8031

Tiare who brought the Big Island Manju that started this whole thing tried next.  She said it was good, but to hemo (leave out) the cornstarch next time.
IMG_8032

I'm so glad that Les was at our King Street office today, so she got to try it too.
IMG_8026

10 comments:

Erick said...

Looks ono. I can help taste too.

jalna said...

I'll save for you from my next batch, Erick.

K and S said...

yum! I think the dough is same like pie crust manju (w/sweet bean paste inside).

Unknown said...

Wow, they look really good!

Betty Townsend said...

Oh, these really look good! Easy, too.

jalna said...

Ohhh, maybe I should try manju with an inside, Kat. I liked this dough . . . easy to make.

Thanks Winnie!!

It'll be a hit at your next potluck, Betty! Something different.

Unknown said...

Hi Guys! That looks delish! miss you all...

mmiissee said...

I like sample....jk hehehe

Les said...

keep the goodies comin! :)

jalna said...

Hi Bonny!! I miss you a lot!

Awwww Mmiissee. I wish I could give you a sample.

Ahahaha, Les, you too!