Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kaimuki High School Class of '60 50th Reunion

Blogger buddy Betty lives in California and wanted badly to go to her 50th class reunion but couldn't make it. I told her I would go and take some pictures for her. It was held at the Pearl Country Club. I had good fun.

I contacted Pearl Mori who graciously allowed me to attend the reunion as her guest, and she even offered to pay for my dinner. Harold Oshiro maintains a blog which helps all the classmates keep in touch with each other.

This is Paul Texeira and his wife Miki. I found out that Miki is my father-in-law's first cousin! Paul is the artist of this painting. I just loooved watching the people greeting each other. Seda Pratz on the right is a fashion designer in Sherman Oaks, California. As soon as I approached this table, the lady on the right said, "Hey, were you at Reid and Jaci's wedding?" She's Reid's aunty! Twin sisters! This was the jocks' table. That's what they told me anyway.
Robert and Brenda always loved each other, but circumstances prevented them from ever becoming a couple. After high school they both went their separate ways. They finally reunited earlier this year after 50 years, and are looking forward finally to a future together. There was a professional photographer at the reunion and these two were his helpers. They had a neat setup where the photographer would download his photos on the fly, and by the end of the evening a CD with photos and a printed group photo would be available for purchase. Awesome yeah! Here are the former cheerleaders. Robert said that he became a cheerleader only so that he could spent time with Brenda. There was a grab bag exchange that was so complicated and confusing that . . . some people ended up empty handed! It was hilarious. The photographer and his assistants did an awesome job gathering the people for their group photo. Trust me, I know what a b*tch that can be.Betty, I got more people-smiling-for-camera shots. I'll try and get them up tomorrow or the next day.

18 comments:

susie said...

WOW great pictures!!!!

jalna said...

Thanks Susie!

Randism said...

i love the story about the couple who--after 50 years!--are now able to be a couple!

jalna said...

I did too Rand. It had me bawling.

Les said...

Wow that is so awesome that you would do that for Betty. I'm sure she'll really enjoy the pictures! Your world is becoming smaller and smaller, you keep running into people from other posts!

Great pics! Looks like they had a lot of fun!

Les said...

oh yah, one more thing...I bet these guys gathered up to do their group picture after only ONE announcement!!

jalna said...

Thanks Les! It really was a pleasure doing this for Betty. The people were so nice and accommodating, I would so do it again.

And yah, they pretty much gathered together as soon as they were asked.

Erick said...

Very nice shoot! I like the stories, especially Robert and Brenda. Great shots, great job! I am sure Betty will love the shots.

jalna said...

Thanks Erick! I gave Robert my "card" and told him when they set the date, I like take pictures. If he takes me up on it, I'll let you know!

Betty Townsend said...

Jalna, you are a sweetheart! I am crying as I write this. How can I ever thank you!! The pictures are awesome! And believe it or not, I recognized a few of the classmates. Hal posted his pictures. I hope you have a chance to see them. One of them has the back side of you taking pictures while the classmates were going through the buffet line. Well, one of these days we are going to meet in person and I am going to give you the biggest HUG!!! THANK YOU!!!!

jalna said...

You're so welcome Betty! I really had a great time.

bebedeer said...

Hi Jalna! I went to KHS, too, class of 81':) Love the photos...I found our friend, Roger Kobayashi, in the 13th photo from the top. He ran with Edsel and me in the 2002 honolulu marathon. Small world, yea?!

jalna said...

Really small world yeah Fawn. I'm a Kaimuki grad too, class of '71!

Randism said...

i'm not a kaimuki grad but i do remember taking a (gulp!) typing class during one summer at that school! there was a really cute girl in my class who i didn't dare talk to but i thought she had the most beautiful, long hair i'd ever seen. and i remember a guy in my class who told me he was the son of the owner of kuni dry goods; i wonder where he is today...

jalna said...

Wow Rand, good memory!

Betty Townsend said...

photo #4 it might have been Hal Oshiro mentioned in our emails that Paul is part Okinawan, never knew that, always thought he was pure Portuguese. #14 on the left is Karen Iha, my best friend in school, known each other since 7th grade. talked to her the other night. June on the right - sweet girl-I love her hair, would be so happy if my hair turned gray like hers. #15 Gerri Barcenas in yellow is married to Jack Digmon in other collection, high school sweethearts.

jalna said...

Again, "ohhh ohhh". Hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Omg, Jalna!
I was googling Seda Pratz because she is the daughter of my parents' good friends. In fact they introduce my parents.
And Seda was flowergirl at my parents' wedding!
I don't really know Seda since she lived on the mainland so was curious about her and found your posts! My mom and I are still friends with Seda's dad and 2nd wife who had moved to Las Vegas
And even more amazing is, I read the comments and saw Roger Kobayashi who I also ran the marathon with in 1991 and 1992. Also worked with him at corp of engineers! Did you know he is Bert Kobayashi's brother?
It's a small world after all!
V