Saturday, January 9, 2010

Spending a Day With CQ

Let's see . . . where do I begin? A friend I hadn't seen in ages, Walter Tani, surprised me the other day when he called me at work. He said that he had come across my blog and after having read my post on Wendell's kamado turkey and having seen CQ's comment on wanting a kamado, decided to call me. He said that he had an extra kamado that he wanted to give away!! I handed the phone to CQ. So score, yah!! By the way, if anybody has a couple of Pocket Wizards that they want to give away, my e-mail address is JalnaA@aol.com.

And so this morning, I found myself at CQ's house with a full day of activities planned, starting with picking up the kamado from Walter's house.

This dragon is one of two that decorates CQ's driveway.
Here is a spice set that CQ got for Christmas. You can spin it around like a ferris wheel!
Here's Connor waiting patiently.
We arrived at Walter's house at about noon. Here he's showing CQ how to use the kamado. Thanks Walter!!! CQ is a great cook, and I'm sure she's gonna make good use of it!!
Next on the agenda was a stop at Dole Plantation. It's a favorite of CQ's. Kaori, CQ's daughter, said that she somehow knew that we would end up there.
And here's why.
This is my Dole whip. It started melting so fast, I felt like I had to hurry and eat it before it made my hands (and camera) all messy.
This is Kaori's Pineapple Macadamia Nut Cheesecake. I had a bite . . . REALLY ONO!
CQ's been talking about this ever since we started planning our outing . . .
It's a chocolate-covered pineapple. Sound weird to you? It did to me too . . . but it was really good. The chocolate was so smooth and creamy and the pineapple sweet and juicy.
Here's a chocolate-covered banana. Also good. Nice slicing job I did, hah!
For 50 cents you can by some fish food to feed the koi.
And try to make them do this.
So after this short stop (and snack), we're on our way back to the car.
What a cutie pie!!
CQ wanted to show me Shark's Cove, a little past Waimea Bay. It's where CQ's family like to come and play. It's beautiful. To the left of this area in my picture is a shallow lagoon with fish swimming around and lots of nooks and crannies to explore.
We then stopped at CQ's favorite shrimp place, Romy's.
There was a sign that said something like, "We're not fast food. We make good food." And it's true . . . they're not fast . . .
but they ARE GOOD. This is the No.1 Butter and Garlic Sauteed.
Here's the No. 3 Fried Shrimp
And the Steamed.
The hazy skies made for some interesting gradient-shaded mountains.
I wanted to check out the Kualoa Sugar Mill for a possible photo shoot. Erick and Susie met us there.
I wanted to copy Jose Roce's recent awesome engagement session, mostly using this wall.
Small-kine problem . . . "No Trespassing" sign. Here's Susie's shot of me. I'm so busted. I wonder if Jose got permission.
There was an accident on the way home so we had traffic.
But that didn't stop CQ from taking me to her favorite lemonade place.
She recommended the limeade and it was DA BOMB . . . soooo refreshing.
We ran into Dr. Wong and her son while waiting in line and her son highly recommended this funnel sticks with chocolate, so of course I had to try it.
Would you believe we still wanted to make one more stop after this . . . Marukai. Unfortunately, we got there five minutes before closing so we never got to go shop. Bummahs. But still, wouldn't you say that it was an awesome day that we had? Thanks CQ!!

11 comments:

K and S said...

wow that sure was a packed day!

gracie said...

jalna, it was nice meeting you and CQ today. thanks for all the goodies you bought walter, too. you didn't have to! looks like you had a great time exploring the north shore. i couldn't tell in the van but connor's eyes really are light!

susie said...

OMG!!! What a wonderful day you guys had. Rick was jello's when I was telling him all that you guys had done and that wasn't even the end of our day yet.

Betty Townsend said...

Awesome photos!! The ones at Kualoa Sugar Mill are outstanding!! The food all looks yummy!! Looks like you all had a great time!!

Leslie's pics said...

I can't believe we didn't run into you guys at least once yesterday...so funny yah! So I saw the wall, and of course you-know-who never like stop over there, and I never knew that was the sugar mill! I loooove the spot! I'm going to try take pics over there one day. Anyways, I'm gonna try post my crappy vog pics now. I hope people don't compare!

jalna said...

Kat, I'm usually an early riser but I got up at 8 this morning!!! I must've been pooped!

Grayce, I loved meeting you and your adorable family. I can't tell you how excited me and CQ are about the kamado. Thanks again!

Susie, thanks for meeting us. I know if Rick wasn't with you, you would've hopped the fence too. I'll keep you posted on our shoot.

Thanks Betty. I originally just planned to meet Erick and Susie at the Sugar Mill, but when the kamado thing came up, CQ planned the whole day-long excursion, and it was a blast!!

That was so funny how we were at the same places at around exactly the same times but never ran into each other. CQ get some connection so she's gonna she if she can get permission for us to shoot at the sugar mill next Sunday. I'll let you know.

Jose Roces Photography said...

Hi Jalna,
Happy New Year to you and your readers.
Eric just emailed me and said you went to Kualoa Ranch and wondering if I got a permission to shoot there?
Honestly, the first time I went there, nobody bothered to stop me. The second time, I got kicked out. They said, I was not suppose to be there coz the building is so old that it might collapse and hurt us. So I dont know if I want to go back there again.
By the way, the only reason I went there was because my clients wanted to shoot there.
Have a good weekend.
Aloha,
Jose

jalna said...

Wow Jose, thanks for the info. I guess we won't be shooting there. Wouldn't want the building collapsing on us. I totally loved the photos you took there. . . I continue to bow to you Mr. Awesomeness.

Erick said...

Super Wow! Looks like you had a great day. The food looks so ONO, I wish I went with you. I love shrimp cooked anyway possible. I so, so, so Jellos! Love your shots, great shooting!

jalna said...

Erick, you babooooooze!! You know me and CQ will always focus on food stuff before "girl stuff". You so shoulda come with us . . . plus you coulda helped Walter hoist the kamado into CQ's van. Poor Walter . . . me and CQ were pretty useful in he hoisting department, me especially.

Unknown said...

That was Fun! See?! It WASNT 'girlie stuff"! It was a FOOD-tour-of-the-North-Side kinda thing. But Im trying to call an old friend thats a rep for Kualoa. He might say its dangerous too, but maybe if i say we just want the ruins in the background? But of course, who listens to thoes warning sings anyways? lol...