Saturday, September 5, 2009

Keeaumoku Produce

Keeaumoku Produce is near my working place on Liona Street (thanks tippy for the spelling correction) across from Maui Divers. It's been there for as long as I can remember, yet a lot of people I know have never even heard of it.
I think they must make really good kim chee 'cause they sell them by the gallon.
This is owner Grace (Seong Hee) Kim. She is so nice.
From way, way back I had heard that this place had the freshest, best eggs, but I never bought any 'cause I wasn't sure how to bring them home on these trays.
Grace offered to pack them in a closed container for me so I bought a dozen jumbo eggs for $2.85.
!!!!!!!!!!
I bought this container of meat jun for $7.00. Had choke pieces and was really, really good . . . very tender. I like this pickled cucumbers. Awhile back I tried to duplicate this with leftover pickles. Some people have said that it's too salty, but I like 'um. This was also $7.00.
They also have this nori that is sooooo ono in chazuke (tea rice). Again $7.00 for a container. Whaaaaaaaat??? I put too much? But it's ono.
I had already paid for my stuff when this young girl came in and asked Grace if she had any marinated kalbi. Grace went to get it so I asked the girl if it was good. She said that her mother had bought some the other day and it was THE BEST. So of course I had to get some also. It comes frozen and is $10 a pound. This container holds 5 pounds (50 bucks!!!). I'll let you know how it turns out.

13 comments:

K and S said...

aw man, now you got me craving korean food!

Leslie's pics said...

you still neva take me!!! I'm waiiiiiiting!!

Unknown said...

Jalna- Isn't it Liona Street?

Betty Townsend said...

Wow,those are some huge eggs. I love those pickles. Kalbi for $10/lb. Wow! We went to a Japanese restaurant Friday night that is owned by Koreans. I had bulgogi. It was heaping on the plate, I brought most of it home and had it for lunch yesterday. Was ono!

jalna said...

Oh my God Kat, wait until I hibachi the kalbi. I just separated half out for tonight's dinner and it smells so good.

Les, sooooooorry. I think we gotta make a special excursion.

tippy, you're right!!! I'm gonna change it now. Thanks!

Betty, Wendell flipped again when I told him how much I paid for the kalbi. And those eggs are unreal big yeah!

Betty Townsend said...

Hahahaha!! Poor Wendall, he never knows what you are going to do next. I hope you were careful with fixing the kalbi tonight and didn't cause another neighborhood fire! hahahaha!! I bet it was good though.

Erick said...

Very cool, very close to my office too. Definitely need to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

SW said...

People told me about the fresh eggs too and I went there YEARS ago..but don't remember it looking like that...it must've changed owners..those eggs ARE HUGE!!

jalna said...

Betty, every time I hibachi some kalbi I think of the time my grill caught on fire . . . so funny. I made it yesterday and it was raining a little, so I actually had small-kine hard time keeping the fire going.

Shun Wah, the jumbo eggs are big but that picture with the egg in my hand somehow emphasizes the size.

mmiissee said...

Which Kalbi do you like best? Is it the one from Keeaumoku Produce or the Kalbi recipe from House of Annie?

jalna said...

mmiissee, that Killer Kalbi recipe was great, but the cut of meat from Keeamoku produce was hard to beat. I don't know what they used but the meat was so finely cut that it was very tender and you could break it apart with just your chopstick. Mmmmm, makes me wanna eat some right now.

mmiissee said...

It looked so nicely thin the meat. But, it is pricey...1 lb. for $50? I was trying to determine how big was the container that the meat was in. I was craving for some Kalbi earlier today he he And I was thinking which one is better of the two = )

jalna said...

mmiissee, it was $10 per pound and the container held 5 pounds. The container is kinda small looking, but it did hold a lot of meat. It actually was good for 2 meals, so not too bad.