Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Korean Pickles


Would you believe I made this? I got the idea from Korean Cuisine's Salted Cucumber post.
I used these pickles that had been in our fridge for longer than the brats were in our freezer. I soaked them in water for awhile. . .
then I sliced them thin . . .
and soaked them some more. I wanted to get out that vinegary taste.
I didn't have a cheesecloth to squeeze out the liquid like the recipe says, but my mom gave me this netting and it worked good enough.
I squeezed out as much of the liquid as I could.

The I kinda used the recipe from Korean Cuisine's Moo Malengi post. I didn't know what "gook ganjang" was so I used 2 T. of this Ko Chu Jang paste instead.
Then I added 1 tsp. minced garlic, 2 T. honey, 1.5 T. corn syrup, 1 T. sesame oil, 1 T. sesame seeds, sliced green onion and some red pepper. It tastes not bad. Mostly I like the crunch.

8 comments:

RONW said...

I'm beginning to wonder if pickle slices would also work with poke.

Erick said...

OK, I'm impressed! It looks very good. Nice photos too!

Betty Townsend said...

I am so proud of you, you are getting so brave to try to make different things!! These pickles look good!!

jalna said...

Ron, that's a veeeery interesting idea!

Erick and Betty, thanks! I think finding stuff to blog about is actually turning me into a bit of a cook.

susie said...

WOW we're really starting to cook more. Just love it. Looks really really good.

jalna said...

Hey, thanks Susie.

mmiissee said...

Looks delicious! Was it spicy?

jalna said...

Hey mmiissee, I didn't put too much of the red pepper powder, so it wasn't that spicy.