Sunday, October 19, 2008

KCC's Open Market - 10/18/2008

Yesterday, Wendell and I went to the Open Market at Kapiolani Community College. It looked packed to me but was told that it was a slow day. I started to wait in line at the Fried Green Tomatoes tent but decided against buying it 'cause I noticed that the portions were small and I couldn't see paying 6 bucks for a few pieces. It must be good though 'cause this mother and daughter each got their own serving.
There were some beautiful flowers for sale.
And this longan which looks like lychee on the inside.
These are beets!! I wonder how you prepare them when they're not from a can.
This is the tent for roasted Kahuku Sweet Corn. This is Cindy, the wife of Ronnie, a former coworker of mine. I was getting thirsty and debated if I should get this ginger cooler . . .
or a shave ice . . .
but opted for this plantation iced tea.
Da Spot tent was serving this curry
and baklava. A whole variety of food could be found at the Hawaiian Style Chili Co. tent
as well as the taro mochi. We were given a sample of this Salmon Fried Rice. It was so ono that Wendell bought an order of it
and even bought a jar of the teriyaki miso sauce to take home. Unfortunately, as soon as we got home he dropped the jar onto our tile floor and it cracked. I thought the cursing would never end.
This is the Chapel that's located on the grounds. I took taiko drumming lessons there one semester with some of my coworkers. It was fun.
I was sooooo excited to meet Thanh Quoc Lam, the hard-working originator of the Ba-Le sandwich shops at the Ba-Le tent that I neglected to take his picture. I could kick myself. Thanh arrived in the U.S. in 1979 from a refugee camp with little money and very little knowledge of English. In 1984 he established the first Ba-Le Sandwich Shop and in 2002 he was named the NATIONAL small business person of the year. Today, he runs a multimillion-dollar business, and here he was on a Saturday morning helping his workers sell bread and pastry at an open market. He is a VERY special man, AND I DIDN'T TAKE HIS PICTURE!! AAAAGGGGRRRRR!!

Okay, so I DID buy this foccacia bread
and made myself this tuna sandwich when I got home. It was good but didn't make me feel better. BABOOZE.

2 comments:

Erick said...

Your pictures so ONO! Great color saturation makes it look extra delicious. Beats taking pictures of old building.

jalna said...

Thanks Erick. You always crack me up!